Great Balls of Fire Exhibit at Sci-Tech Discovery Center
Since its founding 15 years ago, Frisco’s Sci-Tech Discovery Center has brought unique, mind-stretching fun to families and children across North Texas. On Saturday, January 19, 2019, the center will open its newest exhibit, Great Balls of Fire. The 3,500 square foot exhibit engages visitors of all ages to experience the science behind asteroids, comets and meteors.
Great Balls of Fire was created by the Space Science Institute’s National Center for Interactive Learning, with funding from the National Science Foundation and NASA.
The interactive exhibit allows visitors to:
• Climb into a “spaceship” and blast off to the asteroid belt and Jupiter
• Operate a blink comparator device
• Learn how scientists use light curves to determine the shape and movement of asteroids.
• Save Earth and learn about gravity by trying to divert a “rubble pile” asteroid from impacting our planet.
• Shoot a projectile into a water tank and use a Spin Browser device to manipulate high-speed video of your impact.
• Examine a collection of rocks and use a series of tests to determine which one is a meteorite.
• View clips from Hollywood movies and determine if they got the science right.
• Build their own solar system, including asteroid belts and comets, using a 42” touch-table display.
Sci-Tech Discovery Center Executive Director Peter Claffey sees Great Balls of Fire as a perfect match for the museum’s audience. “Kids and adults alike are fascinated with outer space,” notes Claffey. “Great Balls of Fire uses the fun of Hollywood interpretation and pop culture and brings the real science involved in space exploration to students in a real and reachable way.”
Great Balls of Fire will be available to families through May 31, 2019
Cost: $7-$8.50 per person
8004 Dallas Pkwy
Frisco, TX 75034
More Event Ideas
- More Education Events
- Saturday, Jul 27, 8:00 PM
- Thursday, Jun 20, 9:00 AM
- Girl Scouts Collin College Cyber Security Camp for 8th-12th graders June 17-19, 2019 at Collin College Preston Ridge Campus (Conference Center)Monday, Jun 17, 9:00 AM
What can we do for you?
Thank you for your input. Please fill out the form below and provide as much information as possible about updates to this event or venue.